Thursday, September 23, 2010

Did Paul Get It Right In Chapter 13

“If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God's secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn't love others, I would be nothing. 3 If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would have gained nothing.” 1 Cor 13:1-3

Have you ever wondered if Paul got things wrong here in 1 Cor. 13? I mean, who wouldn’t want to be able to travel the world and be able to speak in every language fluently? I personally would love to understand all of God’s secret plans and posses all knowledge. Move some mountains with faith? The Rocky Mountains would be moved to Tucson! But Paul says that all those things would be useless without love.

Paul shows us that a life of love, God’s love, is a life that is much more fulfilling and excellent than having all those special powers. It is a better way because it is God’s way. God is love. Paul goes on in the next few verses to describe love, take a few moments and read through these few verses and realize that this is how God loves you:

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.” 1 Cor 13:4-7

Read through it one more time. This time put your name in place of love. Ask God to love this way through you to others and in your relationship with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment