Monday, September 13, 2010

Livin What You Know: 23


“The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need.” Ps. 23:1 (NLT)
I watched my grandfather many times go to meet the needs of his sheep. Not only when it was convenient but whenever they had a need. In the cold of winter he would dress warmly and track through the snow and blowing wind to meet their needs.
Interesting to me is the fact that we are the only living creatures that worry. We worry as to whether or not our daily needs will be met...whether our future needs will be met. I never recall thinking that my grandfathers sheep were worried about whether or not he would be there to meet their needs. The sheep knew him as their shepherd and instinctively knew he had made provision for all their needs.
The Psalmist starts this great Psalm with a statement: “The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need.” Not a petition or request but a statement! It is a very personal statement at that. He does not say “our shepherd”, rather “my shepherd”.
I read a story many years ago - (The source is unknown.) - of an old man and a young man on the same stage before a great audience. As part of a special program, they were to both recite Psalm 23. The young man was well trained in speech and drama. As he began reciting Psalm 23, the audience was awed. At the conclusion, the crowd rose to their feet in applause and shouted for an encore.
The old man made his way to the microphone. Using his cane to lean on, he began to speak in a frail and broken voice...”The Lord is my shepherd...”When he finished, no one made a sound. There seemed to be a ‘holy hush’ on the crowd as though they were praying.
The young man stood and made the following statement: “Friends, I wish to give you an explanation. You asked me to come back and give you an encore, but when my friend finished you remained silent. The difference? I will tell you...I know the Psalm, but he knows the Shepherd!”
God will meet all of your needs, but first you must answer the question,” is He Lord?” In modern day terms ‘Lord’ simply means to be the C.E.O., the Manager, the Director of your life. The one calling the shots.
It is much like when I first met my wife. We courted and developed a relationship. So
the day came when we consummated that relationship with the commitment of marriage. Many people have developed a relationship with God, have spent time getting to know him and yet have not made the commitment of Lordship. As you make that choice, you will be able to declare with confident assurance the faith statement, “The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need”. It is a worry free life! It is the difference between being in need and having all that you need.
As you pray today, focus on this verse and let the Lord speak to you about “Lordship”.

No comments:

Post a Comment