Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hopeless Past, Hopeful Future

Livin What You Know, Hope-Part 4

“But you don’t know my past, I am angry and I have a right to be!” I can’t tell you how many times I have heard those words, or very similar words, as a pastor. Unfortunately so many of us dray the past with us everywhere we go and as a result we make very little if any progress in the present. The more we drag the past around with us the less hope we have for the present and future. There is a sign that says: “yesterday ended last night”. One of those great sayings that has merit and we should realize its truth.

The apostle Paul has a past that could have led him to anger and bitterness, he faced circumstances that were incredible; jail, shipwrecked, beaten…and the list goes on and on. Yet, he was filled with hope, the hope that comes from knowing Jesus and trusting in him: “I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus , is calling us up to heaven.” Phil 3:13-14 (NLT)

Maybe you are like me; you’ve made a lot of mistakes in life or maybe had a very difficult past with a lot of obstacles. Work your way through it and move on, don’t let the past keep you from reaching your potential. Don’t let the past steal your hope of today or tomorrow.
Remember what Paul says: “I am focusing all my energies on this one thing; Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead…” Hope! As you spend time meditating on this verse prayerfully ask the Lord to help you live it and to have the hope for today and tomorrow that He has for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment