Friday, October 1, 2010

Communion Is A Celebration Of Hope

Livin What You Know, Hope-Part 5

As a follower of Jesus we can live in hope because of His death and resurrection. Why? Because we are assured through His death and resurrection that we too will one day be resurrected to spend eternity with Him in heaven.

“And God is going to raise our bodies from the dead by his power just as he raised up the Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Cor 6:14 (TLB)

We have hope! One day, by God’s power we will overcome death just as Jesus did…that gives us hope. If Jesus death and resurrection gives us hope then how to we continue to reflect on it in our lives?

One way that Jesus told us to reflect on His death and resurrection was through communion. Paul gives us some insight into Jesus last supper in 1 Cor. 11: 23-26: “For this is what the Lord himself said, and I pass it on to you just as I received it. On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant between God and you, sealed by the shedding of my blood. Do this in remembrance of me as often as you drink it." For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord's death until he comes again.”

This weekend I will be serving communion at the end of my teaching. I want to encourage you to take some time and meditate on 1 Cor 6:14 to prepare for this special time. Ask God to help you see and live the hope that He has given us through Jesus resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment